To start a new Family History book:
- Click on the Publish button located on the Ancestry.com toolbar to open MyCanvas.com
- Click on Family History Books under Products in the menu on the left side of the Publish home screen.
3. Next, choose how you want to start the book. Select one of the following:
- Standard Book: - starts with a single person - includes their direct line of ancestors. (i.e. parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc.) - maximum number of generations to start this book is 5.
- Combination Pedigree Chart: - starts with a couple - includes their children, and the direct line of ancestors for each person in the starting couple - maximum number of generations to start this kind of book is 4 (the children of the starting couple, the starting couple, and their parents and grandparents)
- Descendant Tree Book (this is more of a chart format): - start with an individual person - includes their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren - maximum number of generations to start this book is 4
- Descendant List Book: (this is more of a report format): - start with an individual person - includes their children and grandchildren - maximum number of generations to start this book is 3
4. Select the size book you want to create
5. Select the number of generations you want to start the book with (you can add more once the book is started)
6. Choose the tree you want to pull the information from.
7. Designate the Starting Person:
Type in the first 3-4 letters of their first name
Click on the correct choice from the list of possible matches from your tree
8. A spouse will automatically populate, but you can also select a different spouse by clicking on the drop down arrow next to the name. Select the name of the spouse you would like to add
9. Name your project. If the box for the name turns red, it means the name is too long and you must shorten it
10. Click on Continue
11. The MyCanvas program will now create your book, based on the information in your tree. Once the book has been started, you may edit or add other items to it.